On Thursday, June 26th 2014, I presented at the METRO SIG (Special Interest Group) on Reference with the topic of Social Media in Reference. I discussed the Graduate Center’s use of our liaison relationship structure to introduce a model for reference service focused on individual relationships and enhanced by Social Media. The majority of the conversation was on the Staff Photo Project and a larger conversation on Social Media.
The Presentation Slides can be viewed here: Librarians as Friends: Social Media and Reference
Notable Points Included:
- The Staff Photo Project
- Social media Tools including the Library Blog, Digital Signs, Audio-files, Collaborative Relationships, and the CUNY Commons Social Media platform
- Examination of what other libraries have done
- The Photo-Process: Collaborations, Challenges, and Benefits of photo-taking
- Considerations for sign deployment
- How the Photo Project has led to shifts in library service.